My Role

I lead a team of 2 people on this project. My role was was not only to guide the team but to also create concepts for key flows and journeys. The most challenging part of the project was to simplify the tedious process and make the experience better for a user.

Project Duration: 7 months

🔨 Tools Used: Figma, Whimsical

📲 Platform: Adaptive

Process

Product Definition

 

Research

Competitor Analysis

We did a competitive analysis to understand what other institutes are doing in terms of the user experience, application process, course offerings, communication, UI, etc.


We discovered that almost all the competitors have a dated look and feel, non-intuitive affordances, and lots of unnecessary steps. The courses are not stated upfront, the information shown on the listing pages are inadequate and non-persuasive. None of the websites live up to their expertise in design. Their USP is their name and the weightage it brings along with it. Their information architecture is not well structured and confusing. And since an up and coming university would naturally look up and emulate these stalwarts, we had a LOT of work to do.

 

We initially assumed that OTT would be the most preferred entertainment platform nowadays but we learned that the main target audience for Dish TV is semi-urban /rural, users who aren’t as heavily touched by platforms like Netflix, Amazon Prime yet. The website is majorly accessed via mobile.

Age group of visitors

What devices people use?

The purpose of this exercise was to understand the reasons as to why students opt for / consider colleges for higher education. We spoke to both sets of students - potential candidates as well as current students to understand their mindsets and concerns while selecting colleges. Through our discussions we found out that students are most interested in knowing about the courses offered, flexible curriculum, placement statistics, faculty, campus location / infrastructure & the fees structure.

Heuristic Evaluation

Analysis

Key findings

  • Most users since they’re young and glued to their smartphones visit websites from their mobile

  • There’s a lot of traffic on the website during admission season

  • Potential users had difficulty in trusting the university since they hadn’t heard of it

  • The website although rich in information is not easy to consume due to its tedious presentation

  • Users were immediately put off by the ‘ppt look’ on the homepage

  • Users had difficulty understanding what the website was offering even after scrolling all the way down to the footer

 

SORTING THE INFORMATION

Sorting the information in hand

Information Architecture

While working on the IA we faced a bunch of hurdles and had to ask a bunch of potential users to help us out with it. We ran 2 versions of card sort. Both open and closed to arrive at an information architecture that won by user consensus. We’d asked the users to think out loud while they were grouping menu items and their thoughts gave us other hidden insights that we weren’t expecting to find. We cut down the menu items from 9 to 7 main menu items. When we say cut down, we mean regroup and assign a hierarchy in terms of their importance and placement of the menu items on the website. We removed unnecessary sticky menus and gave them a more contextual and respectable position as they deserved. User interactions always helped us navigate our way to better navigation.

IA.png

Design

Initial Sketches

 

Wireframing

The most exciting part about the redesign is the freedom that client entrusted us with in regards to the language, content, colors and the structure. Creative hurdles from the client were almost close to none. This gave us the courage to take our creative confidence to the next level.




 

Testing

The final homepage

Let's break it down for better understanding

 
Mockup-mobile 1.png
 

This case study is just a highlight of the project which included 200+ screens only at UX level. 

Next Project

next project anu.png

Anant University - Website